The Trillium II Prize
In the Trillium II project, we launched in 2019 a Prize award to promote the awareness and innovative use of the HL7 FHIR International Patient Summary (IPS) by health companies and organizations.
IPS standards advance the vision of the patient summary as a window to a person’s health information and highlight the value of health data as social good and human right, i.e. it makes key health information about me available anytime and anywhere.
CEN and HL7 has worked closely for 2 years to deliver pragmatic standards and implementation guides and The Trillium II project has supported this work strategically. So, the Prize was also our chance to see if this work has been successful in spreading the knowledge and guidance on IPS implementation. So, did it turn out to be just a hype and a dream? No, thankfully not!
After an internal eligibility review process, we had nine finalists who each in their own way has a strong and ambitious plan for how to innovatively use IPS. They came from SMEs, Governments & public authorities, private companies and multi-national consortia and they represent Latin America, North American and Europe. This shows that IPS is truly global and end-users in all countries can benefit from it.
The Prize finalists have applied IPS across a range of different types of applications and use cases across the health and care continuum:
- FrailSafe: IPS for Frailty risk assessment by Gruppo SIGLA (IT) demonstrated interoperability with HL7 FHIR IPS to share key health data among healthcare systems.
- Expanding Shared Medication Record to IPS by Trifork A/S (DK) aims to build, tune and expand the Shared Medication Record (SMR) established by the Danish Health Data Authority in 2007 with IPS for all Danes when abroad.
- CAPABLE tool for active use of IPS by patients in all health and care interactions by University of Oslo, Akerhus Univerity Hospital, Norwegian E-Helse AS (NO) wants to empower citizens to actively collect, manage and update clinical and personal health data as IPS, info leaflets, appointments, diet and nutrition needs, etc.
- Care Consumers mediating sharing of their IPS among care providers by Drimpy (NL) allows care consumers can supervise and share their health data in the Personal Health Record available in the drimpy.com eHealth portal.
- IPS connecting ambulances to hospitals by North Denmark Region (DK) will use the IPS to integrate the Prehospital Patient Record on tablets used by paramedics in ambulances with the Electronic Patient Record at the hospitals / healthcare systems of all 5 Danish regions.
- IPS as part of Telehealth Platform by Ask Your Pharmacist (CAN) will use IPS for clinically support health professionals in unscheduled teleconsultations.
- IPS in the Latin American Network for Cooperation in Health Informatics by RACSEL (UY) plans to use IPS for health data exchange turning Clinical Summary Document to HL7 FHIR IPS.
- IPS as minimum data set for Electronic Health Record sharing by HL7 ARGENTINA (AR) will deploy the IPS as the minimum data set shared among providers.
- MedicalData using pictograms to convey IPS information by MyData S.A. (AR) is using pictograms to convey essential health information in the IPS of a patient for use in emergency situations and alleviate language barriers when travelling abroad.
The finalists were reviewed by an international jury, who has selected the Trillium II award winners for the most innovative use of the IPS.
- Elaine Blechman, CEO, Prosocial Applications, Inc. & Prof Emerita, Univ. of Colorado
- Christopher Chute, Chief Research Information Officer for Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Gora Data, Group Chairman, CAL2CAL Corporation
- Dee O’Sullivan, Director, netat PatientView
- Mike Short, Chief Scientific Adviser, Department for International Trade, UK
- Jeremy Thorp, Past Director of Business Architecture, NHS UK
- Patricia Van Dyke, Past Chair HL7 International
The Trillium II award ceremony for the most innovative use of the IPS and the official launch of the Global Community of Practice for the IPS will take place at the HIMSS AND HEALTH 2.0 EUROPEAN CONFERENCE (Helsinki, Finland) Spotlight Stage on Thursday June 13 2019, at 14:50.
The future is an IPS community
Beyond the project and the Prize, we will continue to share IPS experiences and tools through the IPS Global Community of Practice for Digital Health Innovation. Visit https://trillium2.eu/ips-global-community-of-practice/ to tell us to participate and share your ideas.